Funded by the Thomas V. Siwe Endowment
To encourage and reward composers who write music for percussion instruments and to increase the number of quality compositions written for percussion.
- $3,000 grand prize (up to two honorable mentions – $250.00 each). Additional pieces may be acknowledged by the judges due to their quality. These pieces will not receive financial awards.
- Winning composition, Honorable mention(s), and additional pieces selected by the judges will be listed on the PAS website with composer’s picture and bio.
- Winning composition and Honorable mention(s) will be listed along with review of work(s) in Percussive Notes during early 2023.
- Winning composition and Honorable mention(s) will be further announced at PASIC.
- Winning composition will be performed shortly after the winner is announced based on availability of performer(s). The work may be performed anywhere throughout the world.
- Works cannot have been premiered and must have been completed after August 1, 2021. A premiere is considered to be when a piece has been performed live for an audience, has been video or audio recorded where others can view or listen to the piece, or anything similar where the public can access the piece.
- Duration and level of composition will be left to the composer. Works also using new or extended techniques are also encouraged.
- Chamber work consisting of solo percussion with an additional 8 to 10 parts.
- Solo percussion part may consist of any percussion instrument(s) including keyboard percussion.
- Mixed instrumentation is required. Instrumentation may include instruments from the woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboard, string families and voice. Soloist does not count as one of the mixed families.
- Examples of what is not eligible – solo with strings alone, solo with percussion alone, etc.
- Flexible parts are encouraged, but not required.
- No electronics or pitch/sound manipulation software will be accepted.
- No arrangements of works will be accepted.
Submit the following items through the online application:
- A PDF file of the composition absent of any composer information. Label file with title of work.
- An audio file of a computer realization or other recording (non performance) of the composition absent of any composer or performer information. Label file with title of work.
- All complete applications will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Contest results will be announced in November 2022.
- All entry materials become property of PAS. PAS does not claim rights to distribute materials. Materials will be archived for historical purposes only. Composers retain all rights to their composition.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but a separate application and $20 entry fee is required for each entry.
Deadline to Apply: August 1, 2022
Composition Contest Entry Form
Questions? Please email email@example.com