Funded by the Thomas V. Siwe Endowment
To encourage and reward composers who write music for percussion instruments and to increase the number of quality compositions written for percussion.
- $3,000 grand prize (up to two honorable mentions – $250.00 each). Additional pieces may be acknowledged by the judges due to their quality. These pieces will not receive financial awards.
- Winning composition, Honorable mention(s), and additional pieces selected by the judges will be listed on the PAS website with composer’s picture and bio.
- Winning composition and Honorable mention(s) will be listed along with review of work(s) in Percussive Notes during early 2023.
- Works cannot have been premiered and must have been completed after January 1, 2022. A premiere is considered to be when a piece has been performed live for an audience, has been video or audio recorded where others can view or listen to the piece, or anything similar where the public can access the piece.
- Duration and level of composition will be left to the composer.
- Works using new or extended techniques are encouraged.
- No arrangements of works will be accepted.
- I: *Indian Drum, Glockenspiel, Small Indian Drum
- II: Side Drum, Xylophone, *Indian Drum, Tenor Drum
- III: Side Drum, Suspended Cymbal
- IV: Tenor Drum, Chimes, Claves, One Maraca, Suspended Cymbal
- V: Timpani, Small Gong
- VI: Bass Drum, Large Gong
*Note: Interpretation of the instrument “Indian Drum” is left up to the discretion of the composer.
Submit the following items through the online application:
- A PDF file of the composition absent of any composer information. Label file with title of work.
- An audio file of a computer realization or other recording (non performance) of the composition absent of any composer or performer information. Label file with title of work.
- All complete applications will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Contest results will be announced in December 2023.
- All entry materials become property of PAS. PAS does not claim rights to distribute materials. Materials will be archived for historical purposes only. Composers retain all rights to their composition.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but a separate application and $20 entry fee is required for each entry.
The Deadline to Apply is September 1, 2023.
Composition Contest Entry Form
Questions? Please email email@example.com