To encourage and reward composers who write music for percussion instruments and to increase the number of quality compositions written for percussion.
- $3,000 grand prize (up to two honorable mentions – $250.00 each). Additional pieces may be acknowledged by the judges due to their quality. These pieces will not receive financial awards.
- Winning composition, Honorable mention(s), and additional pieces selected by the judges will be listed on the PAS website with composer’s picture and bio.
- Winning composition and Honorable mention(s) will be listed along with review of work(s) in Percussive Notes during early 2022.
- Winning composition and Honorable mention(s) will be further announced at PASIC.
- Winning composition will be performed in the USA shortly after the winner is announced. Other performances around the world may occur based around availability of performers.
- Works can not have been premiered and must have been completed after November 1, 2020. A premiere is considered to be when a piece has been performed live for an audience, has been video or audio recorded where others can view or listen to the piece, or anything similar where the public can access the piece.
- Duration, level, and instrument range (no larger than 4 octaves) of composition will be left to the composer. Works also using new or extended techniques are also encouraged.
- No arrangements of works will be accepted.
Submit the following items through the online application:
- A PDF file of the composition absent of any composer information. Label file with title of work.
- An audio file of a computer realization or other recording (non performance) of the composition absent of any composer or performer information. Label file with title of work.
- All complete applications will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Contest results will be announced in November 2021.
- All entry materials become property of PAS. PAS does not claim rights to distribute materials. Materials will be archived for historical purposes only. Composers retain all rights to their composition.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but a separate application and $20 entry fee is required for each entry.
DEADLINE: August 1, 2021
Composition Contest Entry Form
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org